New Year’s Resolutions Will Make You a Better Golfer
During the 2016-2017 PGA season, one pro stood out among the many talented men on tour. Justin Thomas, a fellow Kentuckian, went above and beyond to win 5 tournaments, capture a major, win the FedEx Cup, and that’s just scratching the surface. All his accomplishments added up to earning him the honors of Player of the Year.
Yes, a boy from Kentucky shocked the world by edging out the biggest names in golf—Jordan Spieth, Rory McIlroy, Dustin Johnson, who all fell short to the unrivaled performance of Justin Thomas.
Even more shocking, Thomas had taken the time to write down every goal he wanted to achieve during the year. He designed a plan and by the end of the season had knocked off almost every item on his list.
This should stand as motivation for every golfer. Set a list of goals, make a plan, and see what happens. And what better time to do that than at the beginning of 2018?
This year, try writing a list of measurable, realistic and achievable objectives. This will hold you accountable for your golf game throughout the year. For extra accountability, talk to your golf buddies or family about these goals so they can help you accomplish each objective.
Think about what you want to get out of the game of golf—not every golfer will need to set goals about winning or improving your stats. Some might need to focus on mental game or their time put in playing, for others maybe it's best to set fun goals like playing a new game on the course each week with your buddies.
Each golfer is different, so each list will be as well.
Examples of golf goals for 2018:
- Truly enjoy every opportunity that you get to play or practice golf. Too many golfers spend their time on the course frustrated or disappointed, when we are truly fortunate to get to play this crazy game. (And yes, that means even when you start your round with two doubles. It happens—deep breaths!)
- Hit an average of 12 greens per round. This gives you an incentive to work on your approach shot accuracy. More focused range practice, less raking balls to hit mindlessly.
- Take 2 golf lessons a month. Our top-notch staff at the High Performance Golf Academy can help get your game on the track you desire.
- Go on a golf trip with your buddies. Is there anything better than a vacation filled with golf? Take a page out of the #SB2k17 vacation book with Rickie Fowler, Jordan Spieth, Smiley Kauffman and Justin Thomas—a trip with your best friends may be just what you need in 2018!
- Win the Bourbon Duck Tournament. Keene Trace Golf Club's biggest and most competitive tournament of the year. If that’s your major tournament, plan your practice schedule a month or two in advance. It’s grind time to take home the title of being the 2018 Bourbon Duck Champion.
Welcome to the Keene Trace Golf Club blog!
We are SO excited to start this adventure. As we enter 2018, we have a lot to look forward to—new leagues, new events, and new members in our Keene Trace family. Not to mention, the PGA TOUR will return to the Bluegrass State on our very own Champion Trace golf course!
(Who else is counting down the minutes?!)
With all these exciting opportunities and changes, we are challenging ourselves to be better each day for our members. This blog is one of our new projects. Our goal is to provide you with a one-stop portal of articles, videos and interactive activities. We will keep you updated on everything you need to know about the club—including the changes you can expect to see and the exclusive inside scoop for the Barbasol Championship!
Whether you’re new to our family, or a returning member, we are continuously working to provide you the best experiences and memories on and off the golf course. Therefore, this blog is for you—we’re here to provide you with content you want to see.
We are looking forward to an opportunity-filled 2018! Check out our next post tomorrow!